Thursday, January 17, 2008

Salsa Garden


As you can see, my goal is lots of peppers and tomatoes. I actually picked varieties of peppers based on color and heat. Some are best for drying and some for fresh use. Though I haven't had a lot of success planting from seed recently I'm going to try to get it right this time. I'll get onions locally and already have garlic. Hopefully by the end of June I'll be swimming in salsa and by the end of August enough dried peppers to get through next winter's chili cooking season. Of course the sunflowers are for looks and our small feathered friends. Some of these are supposed to reach 12-14 ft with 12 inch heads!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Cara O. said...

Last year my pal gave me some purple heirloom cherry toms - didn't care too much for them as they were really sweet. But I am still interested in trying new varieties and hearing about others. We can share and compare, especially if Pete takes some of my seedlings for his plot.

In addition, this year I want to learn how to can tomatoes without giving myself the botchulism. It would be great to have homegrown salsa and marinara in the dead of winter.