Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Hey! Ho! Let's Grow!

It's that time again. This weekend I drew an elaborate map of my fantasy garden. I have no idea where I may be living in 2 months, but I have the seeds picked out for this hypothetical plot.
There's an heirloom dealer practically next door, in Missouri, called Baker Creek (http://www.rareseeds.com). When I was a 16 year old doing Lord knows what with my spare time, this Missouri teenager was starting his own rare seed company. 10 years later, he sells thousands of unique varieties that are seldom seen in the grocery store, like purple green beans or ball-shaped carrots. Ever seen white tomatoes? They're freaky.
Steve, I'm curious to know what varieties you ordered from Seed Savers, and eager to hear the results.
On the roster for this year, reliable standbys:
green beans * edamame * broccoli * cukes * greens * carrots * kale * snap peas * spinach * tomato * squash * herbs
And the glamour queens for this year:

Five color chard
Mexican sour gherkin (pictured), which are the size of a quarter and have a lemon tang
Red and white "Christmas" lima beans
A green, stripey, tangy tomato I found at farmer's market last yr. called "green zebra"
The most fragrant and juicy melon in all the land, "charentais"
And last but not least, rich, Hungarian pepper called Paradicson Alaku Sarga (I have never had luck with peppers, so here we go again...)

I would love to hear about any of your personal favorites or recommendations!

3 comments:

Hawk said...

If you have any seeds to spare, I will plant a sister garden in Claremore. We can have a little gardener competition.You know my gardening successes are few and far between so I'm not a serious threat. I am a threat to the innocent little plants, however. (I could be fined and jailed for numerous counts of neglect and abandonment).
I would like to give this idea a try. It may be interesting to discover the differences in sister gardens 200 miles apart. What do you say?

equineobsessed said...

Being a true non-gardener (weeds are my best crop), i volunteer to do my bit by eating all produce produced.... mmmmmmmm

tinman said...

Just as the garden bug bites, old man winter puts the kibosh on it. I know it's too early to even plant seeds indoors for transplanting later but I'm getting prepared.I guess my fantasy garden would have gnomes or fairies keeping the pests and weeds out and making sure the soil is properly aerated and watered. For now I'll just have to live in the real world and wait for the weather and soil to warm. I do have several packets of seeds from SeedSavers Exchange in hand waiting for the proper time...patience, patience! See my next post for details.