Saturday, January 19, 2008

The first step to spring gardening

You guys have me burning off the remains of last years plants/weeds (mostly weeds) in what will eventually become a beautiful vegetable plot. It's far too small to call it a garden. It was mid to low 20's out there but the fire, along with the thought of spring planting kept me warm.
My gardening efforts of the past few years have been disgraceful. I didn't realize it until today that I have a new years resolution! To maintain a healthy, nearly weed free, veggie plot.
Now why did I go and say a thing like that? Must be a severe case of cabin fever.

3 comments:

equineobsessed said...

You GO Guy! I am impressed with your gardening/plotting.... and will help eat the spoils of your labor. mmmmmmm SALSA!

Cara O. said...

Yep cabin fever will do that. My friend Shannon says sometimes in winter she goes to the local nursery just to breathe in the dirt. I haven't done that .. yet ..

She and I both invested in well over $100 of seeds, collectively, and plan to do a seedling swap, so I should have more than enough extras to distribute to Oklahoma. It would be interesting to see if they fare any better in more southernly climes.

Cathy seems a little too eager to get her paws into the spoils ... but I know it's just the salsa talking!

tinman said...

Maybe it is the 'cabin fever' element but I think the lengthening days just wake up something inside any of us who have had our hands in the dirt. While I've got the cornerstone tractor I have managed to rip up a new "garden" spot with dreams of July corn, zinnias and sunflowers. Even when it's hitting the teens every night and only getting into the forties during the day we know it won't be long before the days equal the night and we've gotten behind. If you've got a chance to do now what sooner or later must be done, do it now! ps I like the smell of fresh-turned dirt too