Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Nobody here but us turkeys...

By some unknown cosmic circumstances, I have found myself in possession of three turkeys - the eating kind. Which is funny because I don't eat turkey. So one is promised to Brenda for Christmastime. The other I have tried, unsuccessfully, to give to a soup kitchen here in town - but they're all turkeyed up for the holidays (I guess that's a good thing). The third one I am going to attempt to cook for my fellow. This will be my first turkey and, in fact, the first anything I've had to cook using a syringe. Working at a daily newspaper is not that charitable when it comes to holidays, so I only have one Tofurkey Day off - hopefully I'll get to have a Latesgiving with my folks this weekend. But for now, I have my Grand Turkey Experiment to keep me busy. Coworkers have suggested their favorite ways of cooking the bird ("deep fry it!" "inject it with Cajun seasoning!"). As long as I don't end up with a Clark Griswold bird, that will be fine. And just in case, I'll have some pasta on standby.

The only real turkey this week will be MIZZOU after KU roasts them up at Arrowhead! .. some Misery-ans have taken to wearing a particularly idiotic shirt that depicts the pre-Civil War sacking and burning of Lawrence, which is essentially advertising "look what my pro-slavery yokel kin did to yer abolitionist capital, hyuk hyuk." To be fair, most Mizzou fans would steer clear of such nonsense .. but they'll be serving alcohol at Arrowhead, so I'm glad to stay home.

Be very, very careful driving, everyone, wherever your travels take you this week.

2 comments:

Running-Water said...

drape bacon over the top during baking, it gives the turkey a multimeat combo flavonoid- oh ah- despite your tofurkey ways I still love you and know you would have been one heck of a dogcatcher if you weren't doing your best at something else- I just saw a fox eating black sunflower seeds in my garden so enjoy your feast you funky beast and my best to your Boston fellow

nuh dah ay gay he said...

good luck with the bird! love you