Sunday, November 4, 2007

Current project


Paul is beginning to feel the first pangs of doubt & indecision with his creations. I can't help but feel guilty. He compares his work to published authors, recognized artists and employed craftsmen. The days of making stuff for the joy of making stuff are fading. Frustration and angxt lie ahead.
I mention this only as a backdrop to my attempts to recover childlike notions of what's "good". I may never be free of inhibitions while I work( a worthy goal in all phases of anyones life), but even in the attempt, the opportunity for discovery and growth unfold.
The kids return this afternoon and I can take a break from fretting over meaningless contemplations and get back to being "Dad" and a well meaning but struggling carpenter.
The attached photo is of an acrylic piece, tentatively named "Come Out To Play".

3 comments:

Running-Water said...

You are a bum, you have always been a bum and I suspect you will always be...a bum. Appropriate response: Shaddupa-yo-face!
Hey packman- how bout that for an ice breaker- I hope it comes across funny because I have not seen you in a long time, but you used to make me laugh, and I hope I can return the favor from time to time- some context to my icebreaker is the fact that today marks my 7th year here as a caregiver- that is to say I have not received a paycheck for 7 years, I work for room and board. I am an authority on everything and am the defacto gatekeeper to purgatory- I probably have you or Jimbo to blame for liking the Green Bay packers since second grade, and I can't believe Brett Favre is still playing much less pulling the Monday night tricks out of the hat. I am not usually this active on the blog but my first mate is out of town so it is either this or practice my silent mime in the box routine. A big "Pack-Sack" to Paul and Kiah. (Hopefully it goes without saying I don't think you are a bum...) And cool artwork.

tinman said...

You are your first and last critic. You can't expect your work to always be 'good'. It's a bookmark in a page in your life. Whatever you say or do may have relevant meaning to others though possibly not what you intended ,if indeed you had any intentions at all. Seeing your child grow and begin to grapple with those realities is tough. Encouragement can come from disapointment; to fail is to have tried... blah-blah-blah...good to have you on .

nuh dah ay gay he said...

who's painting is this? your's or pauls?