Monday, August 6, 2007

Grateful harvest

Here is a photo of the five color chard I will be planting next weekend, hopefully with my sister in check (as she will probably not be camping, I am the # 2 option. Being number 2, you try harder.) I also hope to plant more spinach and maybe even some broccoli.
I bought the chard in Ames, Iowa, from the Seedsavers' Exchange, which is exactly as it sounds: a group dedicated to saving older, often colorful and more flavorful kinds of familiar veggies that just didn't make it in the larger market because they don't ship well, etc. (Compare home tomatoes with those mushballs in the grocery store). So I am eager to have this little fiesta growing in my own plot.

The photo won't load. Booo hiss! So, you'll have to use your vibrant imaginations, or look at

www.seedsavers.org/images/46_s.jpg

Meanwhile, a landslide of tomatoes coming in and we are picking as fast as we can, while under seige of mosquitoes galore.

Digitally challenged,

C.L.O.

2 comments:

nuh dah ay gay he said...

That is great to plant a fall garden. I'll be checking out the website too - sounds right up our alley. we are getting tomatoes too - made a whole batch of salsa on saturday, plus an experimental batch that was smaller - we ate BOTH by sunday night. Both of these batches i carefully blanched, removed cores, seeds and skin carefully. but to find out the crew here didn't care if all that was done. so last night i made another batch - with seeds and core and all...we'll see how fast it goes.
good luck with your planting next weekend.

tinman said...

Great site, interesting products. Especially like the planting guides. Think I'll try the garlic sampler!