Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The More Things Change...

 A couple of young fellas came up the other day and showed me this photo; wondered if I'd be willin' to part with 90 bucks. I remembered the time some 20+ years ago that some guy showed up asking if I'd pay $30 for a couple of black&white prints.






 Both times I said  "sure".
 A couple of the photos in-between were shot by Cathy's mom in Paul Martin's plane...
...and the other by someone I don't recall.














Seems like only yesterday.








If you look real close you might be able to spot Jaime and Steve in one of the shots and maybe a horse or two in some of the others.


1. 2011
2-4   mid-90's
5. 1988

4 comments:

lemonade said...

Cool Pix!
When I think of home and family, I always think of the food. I look at your home and imagine the kids eating and growing. I see thousands of pbj sandwiches, bowls of buttery popcorn crunched, crocks of steamy chili, cups of KoolAid, Lemonade, Chocolate milk, casseroles of Doritos enchiladas, dishes of salsa, platters of cookies and plates stacked as high as the plane's wings with slices of pizza, and god bless the saintly dishwashers performing their daily ablutions. Moon and stars, snowman or suntan, kids and trees, wind and wolves deliver me to my house with family and the familiar threshold, thinkin' bout home.
A girl phoned me the other day and said... 'Come on over, there's nobody home.' I went over. Nobody was home.
Rodney Dangerfield

The strength of a nation derives from the integrity of the home.
Confucius

pakrboy said...

So that's what those guys in the ultralights have been up to all these years. Wow, a single b & w photo can make 1988 seem so ancient! At least you can prove you've been busy.

tinman said...

Busy piling up crap...sad thing is half the trees we planted have already died. Most of the mature ones are volunteers. And yes Lem,I can't help but remember all the folks who've been part of this home,the times we've shared, good and bad...a good life and a good place to live it all in all.

B.L. Covey said...

It's fascinating to see a piece of land transform so dramatically. I'm curious to know what NE Oklahoma looked like before the white man showed up. Was it grassland? How many of the native trees were cleared to make way for farming and ranching? You say that many of the mature trees were volunteers. Would you say most of the varieties are native to the area? Looking at these pictures makes me appreciate the larger scale of natural biological processes taking place all the time. Life always finds a way. I love your home and always have. Makes me miss Oklahoma.