Saturday, January 2, 2010

Black Eyed Peas


Tradition. Just one of many but it's the one I grew up with. Only one problem. I don't like black eyed peas much so I try new combos. Margret gave me a recipe last year for black eyed pea salsa - eaten with chips - it's pretty good AND HOT. This year I was in a soup mood - so here is the 2010 recipe.

1 onion chopped
4 T butter
Saute onion and butter until wilted a little
3 small smoked ham hocks
4 c water -
cover and simmer 1 hour - then add
1 bag frozen black eyed peas
3 potatoes, washed and cut into bite sized peices
12 baby carrots
4 tsp chicken soup stock powder
1/2 tsp thyme leaves
1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
Cover and simmer another hour (add more water to cover veggies) - or until potatoes, peas, and carrots are soft. Adjust salt and pepper if needed and serve with jalepeno corn bread.

No comments: