Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Thin Red Line

 
Posted by Picasa

Well, we are riding on top of a fat red line that runs around the belly of the Earth called the Equator. We're headed due West for the next 700 miles, so the sun literally starts at the stern of the ship and slowly works its way forward all day. On the Port side of the ship I am standing in the Southern Hemisphere and Autumn, on the Starboard side I am standing in the Northern Hemisphere and Spring. I got a nice view of about 200 common Dolphin in a feeding frenzy about a half mile from the ship today. One came over to check us out and rode in our bow wake for a minute. I love those crazy dolphins. There are also loads of Flying Fish around these parts. Suddenly they pop up out of the water when being chased by a predator and then actually do a little wiggle to gain momentum. I've counted glides that have lasted almost 30 seconds. Sometimes they sort of just skip across the water. The first time I saw one back in the Indian Ocean I was so confused why a bluebird just dove into the ocean. It just didnt compute to this Okie. Fish that fly??? I love evolution.
(Brandon at Middle Earth)
R/V Roger Revelle

1. 011200Z APRIL 2008
2. Position: Lat: 00-00.0N/S, Long: 014-21.5W
3. Course: 270T
4. Speed: 11.8 Kts

2 comments:

pakrboy said...

Zero latitude has brought different attitude. Good to hear Mr. Sunshine is back!

mjooc said...

Coming home!