Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Last Dispatch from Sea


Well, it seems the time has come to bid you adieu. As of the moment of typing this, I have a little over 36 hours until the R/V Revelle is tied up in Ft. Lauderdale, FL U.S.A. In the final moments of this adventure I have taken time to read back on my various posts and all that has happened in my absence. Here I offer up just a couple of brief thoughts.

First off, Its been a hell of a run. Its tough to even explain the feeling I have right now. I couldn't have imagined this day actually arriving, 3 and a half months ago. The stupid chart I had pinned up on my wall to show how much time I had left stood blank and empty, just like my stomach in that first 24 hours in the Indian Ocean. But I've grown salty I suppose and somewhat wise to the ways of the sea. For all my bitching and moaning, the experience I've taken away from this was worth every filthy, sweat soaked, frozen, paint covered, blistered, sprained, deafening, sun stroked minute. South Africa, Antarctica...check. Antarctic Circle, Equator, Prime Meridian, Doldrums, Indian Ocean, Southern Ocean, Atlantic Ocean, Sargasso Sea....check. Seabirds, Whales, Dolphins, Jellyfish, Flying Fish, Rotten Fish, Fresh Fish, Seals, Penguins, Algae, Krill, Seaweed, Ethiopian Stowaways...check. Following seas, head on seas, sideways seas, rough seas, calm seas, cold seas, warm seas, green seas, blue seas, grey seas, troughs, peaks, rollers and boarders...check. Now Im ready for some Terra Firma!

Secondly, but most importantly, I want to remind everyone how much I love you all. The Earth seems to want to keep spinning and we seem to get a little more spread out by the moment, but the encouragement, and thoughts I've received from you (from home base Oklahoma and beyond), have been music to my heart during this new and sometimes difficult experience. I will always be there, for anyone of you, in any way that I can. Knowing that the feeling is reciprocal is something that gives me assurance throughout all of life's curve balls. I realize how uniquely blessed or lucky I am to be in this sort of a position...born into a clan of strong, hearty, wise and hilarious individuals such as yourselves.

Thank you all once again for your loving support.

XO

Brandon

5 comments:

mjooc said...

Brandon,
You look awesome and sound better than you look....I am so proud of you and am enjoying you writing so much. Welcome back home...I love you...Momma

nuh dah ay gay he said...

that IS quite a photo! you look quite dashing with your sailor's beard! sure have enjoyed your posts and emails.....can hardly wait for your published version of "All you wanted to know about the Antarctic Circle but were afraid to ask" guide book. :)
xxoo mo

pakrboy said...

Your passages were a joy! You've got a real nack for story telling, Brandon. Looking forward to hearing more details when next we meet (this summer on the trail, me hopes!).
Men are made, not born. It's a life long project and you've made progress beyond your years with your latest adventure, it sounds. Now get yourself to the nearest brothel and....oh, yeah, Mom reads this stuff, huh! nevermind

equineobsessed said...

Welcome home o' wanderer. love c

Hawk said...

The real life adventure you've been through is probably just a hint of things to come. You've got it in your blood now and it will never leave you.I'm proud of you.