Wednesday, March 12, 2008

WOG

 
Posted by Picasa

Excerpt from Brandon:
Well, we are finally on the back side of 2 back to back fronts. Probably the roughest seas to date. I missed out on a couple of nights sleep because of it. Caught up a bit last night. At one point, we literally slammed face first into a huge wave and actually bent the ship. The hallway outside of my room has a ripple in the tile now and some of the doors arent closing properly. No one seems too concerned though. I've been cursing alot.

I am participating in the "rednose" antarctic circle crossing ceremony/hazing. Today I had to wear all my clothes inside out and backwards with my underwear on the outside. The Wogs, as we are now called, have to entertain the bluenoses tonight. It looks like they have all sorts of "fun" secret games lined up for us. Sailors are weird. I think we were supposed to go through all this BS at the circle, but were too busy collecting data to deal with it. There is another ceremony when crossing the equator supposidly The shellback ceremony. Of course we dont "have" to participate, but its highly encouraged.

Anyway, after Cape Town, we just steam across the Atlantic. Our direct route might be changed because of some brief science that might be done and Brazil wont let us into their waters, but if all goes well, should be pulling into Key West on April 17th.

5 comments:

pakrboy said...

Don't forward this to Brandon, please.
http://www.usscoralsea.net/pages/shellback.html

Cara O. said...

Sounds like your typical Greek shenanegans, except your frat house happens to be a pitching ship thousands of miles from civilization. This will be good preparation for the corporate world.

And now, in my best karaoke Tom Waits whiskey voice, I send this one out to you, dear cousin. Safe travels home...

"We sail tonight for Singapore,
we're all as mad as hatters here!
I've fallen for a tawny Moor, took off to the Land of Nod.
Drank with all the Chinamen,
walked the sewers of Paris,
and chased along the colored wind, dangled from a rope of sand.
You must say goodbye to me."

nuh dah ay gay he said...

ahh YEAH pakrboy, do NOT forward to brandon :)

tinman said...

You know of course, Brandon can see this!

Hawk said...

I can't see myself laughing through all that. But what else you going to do?
Oh the stuff we humans do to set pecking order.