Friday, December 7, 2007

Feral Carols


The debate rages on: what is the worst Christmas carol? My pal Beth would cast her vote for the 1950s ditty "I want a hippopotamus for Christmas," which, according to Wikipedia, was performed by a little OKC girl as a fundraiser to buy a hippo for the zoo. Go figure!

Personally, I would pick "Christmas Shoes," which is the sappy tale of a little boy who wants to buy a pair of shoes for his sick mama so she'll look nice if she "meets Jesus tonight." That's nice, but ... shoes? It's just too melodramatic and weird for a Christmas carol, in the country song "I lost my car-dog-house-wife" tradition. And the children in the chorus who sound like aliens .. bizarre.

Any nominations?

4 comments:

tinman said...

Well,I haven't heard the one about the shoes tho it does sound like something I wouldn't want to hear; the hippopotamus song is pretty much like nails on a blackboard, the attached is what came up with "bad christmas carol" google:

Nuttin' For Christmas

I broke my bat on Johnny's head;
Somebody snitched on me.
I hid a frog in sister's bed;
Somebody snitched on me.
I spilled some ink on Mommy's rug;
I made Tommy eat a bug;
Bought some gum with a penny slug;
Somebody snitched on me.

Oh, I'm gettin' nuttin' for Christmas
Mommy and Daddy are mad.
I'm getting nuttin' for Christmas
'Cause I ain't been nuttin' but bad.

I put a tack on teacher's chair
Somebody snitched on me.
I tied a knot in Susie's hair
Somebody snitched on me.
I did a dance on Mommy's plants
Climbed a tree and tore my pants
Filled the sugar bowl with ants
Somebody snitched on me.

So, I'm gettin' nuttin' for Christmas
Mommy and Daddy are mad.
I'm gettin' nuttin' for Christmas
'Cause I ain't been nuttin' but bad.

I won't be seeing Santa Claus;
Somebody snitched on me.
He won't come visit me because
Somebody snitched on me.
Next year I'll be going straight;
Next year I'll be good, just wait
I'd start now, but it's too late;
Somebody snitched on me.

So you better be good whatever you do
'Cause if you're bad, I'm warning you,
You'll get nuttin' for Christmas.


By Roy Bennett and Sid Tepper - © 1955

Afraid I don't know the tune but then again I guess it doesn't matter.

tinman said...

By the way, saw your little sis last night on her 14th. The twins say she is now officially "an adult"!

Running-Water said...

I agree that both are very bad- I heard one, something about I fell out of a christmas tree and the voice is as irritating to the hippo song- recently I came across Dominic the Christmas donkey, and hated it immediately, but since have grown to kinda like it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVP1LipaRp8

Running-Water said...

hey I love the DEEP voice of the singer on the Grinch- I gotta get hooked up with the imeem- another cool tool!