Saturday, September 29, 2007

As the persimmon turns


Here is a real artsy farsty photo of some persimmons. Considering how all our conventional fruit trees were shocked by this spring's freeze, the persimmons are booming. Probably because they are native. I collected about 5 pounds last week on campus. Some people are a little disgusted by the persimmon because you pick it up off the ground when it's nice and squishy and moribund (well not quite) but still a nice bright orange and then you squish them and use them like any fall fruit, as filler in cookies or pudding.
Some lore suggests you can cut open a persimmon seed lengthwise and if the inside looks like a spoon, it means it will be a long hard winter. If it's a fork, though, a mild winter you'll have. Or vise versa.

3 comments:

tinman said...

I haven't seen any persimmons around here so I guess I haven't been looking. I am keeping my eyes peeled for monarchs but they've been few and far between. Hope to get some tagged this weekend. Here's a link to som info on persimmons...who knew?!!
http://www.davewilson.com/homegrown/promotion/persimmon/pers_lore-recipes.html

Cara O. said...

Oh, our monarch tagging event was CANCELLED because the same darn frost that killed our apples also killed the bidden flowers that monarchs are attracted to here.

I have seen monarchs in town this year, and I think they're especially easy to catch in the morning before their body temp warms up enough for them to move. Like teenagers, butterflies are sluggish and slow in the mornings, and like to sleep in trees.

Cara O. said...

I checked out that link. That's interesting that Dave & co can't get their story straight about the knife/spoon shape either. Must be really reliable. (As for the poison ivy salve .. I'll just stick to making pudding)