Sunday, March 6, 2011

Eggstra! Eggstra!

After a few weeks of ultra cold, subzero temperatures, the weather warmed up and the hens got cracking!

20 eggs collected on March 5.

March 6 and the mission was to cook 'em and eat 'em.

After an internet search for recipes, I decided to make Alton Brown's Lemon Curd and Meringue Kisses from the incredible edible egg website by the American Egg Board first.  The Lemon Curd called for 5 egg yokes (I used 6) and the Meringues called for 4 egg whites (I used 6).  You can find the recipes at these links:

 Alton Brown's Lemon Curd and Incredibleegg.org Meringue Kisses .


Once the lemon curd was in the jelly jars, we needed scones.  I had a mix and used one more egg.

The girls taste tested and loved the lemon curd and the meringues.  Scones were ok, guess I should have made them from scratch.

While the Meringues were baking, Ivy and Alaina had groomed and saddled Pico, Diez, and Splash.  So, I took a break for a little equine therapy and then back to the kitchen.

We had 3 over-ripe bananas.  Four eggs later and we have 12 banana-cranberry muffins.

Cheese souffle with dinner?  Sounds like a plan.  Need another recipe and zencancook.com is the place.

Zencancook Cheese Souffle  The recipe called for three eggs but I used 5 yokes and 4 whites. I planned on using 4 eggs total but contaminated a white with cream so went ahead and cracked one more. Also, I used only 8 oz of cheese (4 oz Swiss and 4 oz Fontina) and used 1/2 and 1/2 instead of milk.  The souffle was yummy with sauteed mushrooms on top.



Final egg tally for the day? Sixteen. Four left over to add to the stash in the fridge and the 14 more collected today. Bring egg cartons soon and we will fix you up.  Please.

4 comments:

B.L. Covey said...

So eggscellent, my mouth is watering. Looks like quite the eggstravaganza.

Hiyooooooooo!

Greenrok said...

Wow beautiful souffles!

Cara O. said...

Wish I lived nearby so I could help alleviate your egg problem. But what a wonderful problem to have!!

nuh dah ay gay he said...

reyokeless! (thanks for the eggs, i've not created recipes like you but am enjoying the eggs hardboiled with salt and pepper)