Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Plants and Birds and Rocks and Things




With the generous snow-melt and warming temperatures everything is really coming alive. The redbuds we planted 20-some years ago have never looked better though plenty of deadwood and underbrush needs to be cleared. Birds and bees are active. I've set up a camera near one of the bluebird houses I built to catch some of the activity. The birds have inspected the house but left and haven't been seen for a couple of days. I saw a scissor-tail flycatcher on Monday, a week before I would normally have expected. The warm temps have allowed for plenty of outdoor activity too. I've managed to get one wildflower plot started and will get another going this week. I've also managed to get a small rock pathway around the carport completed as well as some grade work to help with drainage. The horses are enjoying the new growth. Diez still isn't allowed to graze on too much green grass so she just settles for peach blossoms.

4 comments:

Cara O. said...

That's a beautiful photo of the horse eating the tree blossoms.

Among my favorite details about spring is the return of birdsong in the early, early morning. Will's first task of the morning is to open the window shutters and spot any bird visitors in the yard. He knows Robins, Red Birds (as we call them), Jays, Doves, and Mockingbirds. He has not yet managed to chase down a Robin, but he keeps trying!

nuh dah ay gay he said...

i like the picture with the sun and the 2 horses. are you using a filter. cool.
i'm with you cara - spring brings a new energy to me. hope it lasts. when i see birds i think of mother for some reason. :) i'd love to see will chasing those birds

B.L. Covey said...

Wow! Now that is a nice post. How is the focusable web cam housing coming along? I could watch the birdhouse for hours. Spring is great. Let the fun in the sun begin...just watch out for those twisters.

tinman said...

All photos were taken with phone-cam. I increased the saturation on all photos to replicate what my eyes saw. I'll have an update on the "franken-cam" posted on 'As Crows Fly' in the next day or so. Anybody seen a hummer yet? I've got a feeling they'll be here before I get feeders out.